When using a teleprompter, it would be helpful to hire a teleprompter operator. A teleprompter is a device installed in front of a camera to reflect computer-generated text back to the speaker, serving as a memory aid. Reading from one will take some practice, but when you know how to work and deal with the teleprompter operator, you will look as natural as your local news anchor.
Important Teleprompter Working Tips
1. You are in control — Remember that, as the reader, you are in the driver’s seat. The job of the teleprompter operator is to keep pace with you. So just speak naturally and the teleprompter hire will keep up with you.
2. Speak up — If you want something changed to better your job, let the operator know. If you want something spelled out phonetically, the font size enlarged, or the scrolling slowed, let the technician know.
3. Be natural — Maintain a natural conversational tone while you read the prompter. This should help you look and sound believable to your viewers or audience.
4. Know your material — The more familiar you are with the script, the more natural you are going to come across. This way, the teleprompter will only serve as a safety net instead of having to follow it word for word.
5. Have good energy — Generally, more energy is the best policy, especially if you are delivering the script on camera. The camera will tone down the energy level, so it would probably be best to be a little more upbeat and positive.
6. Read into the lens — When using a camera-mounted style teleprompter, maintain eye contact with the lens which is behind the glass. To help you do this, the teleprompter operator will tell you the place they will put their cue point to keep at pace with you.
7. Practice — If you have never worked with a teleprompter before, ask the producer if you can have some rehearsal time with the teleprompter before the shoot. This way, you and the teleprompter operator will have time to get in sync.
8. Choose the right prompter size — If you will stand close to the prompter, ask the operator to either adjust the screen size smaller or bring an appropriate size teleprompter so your eye will not be moving back and forth.
9. Relax — The teleprompter will make your life easier, and not harder. It will take all the burden of memorization so you can fully concentrate on communicating your thoughts in the most effective way possible.
10. Be confident and take time to breathe — If you ad lib, the teleprompter will be there when you come back on script. If you stop, it will wait for you. Have fun and remember that this is so much easier than trying to remember a whole script.
Work Harmoniously With Your Teleprompter
If you are thinking of teleprompter rentals, go through these tips first to help you out. When you are able to harmoniously work with your teleprompter operator, you are assured of a smooth sailing work.