If you watch any skilled speaker on television — be it a political leader, a news commentator, or a celebrity — chances are that their seemingly effortless delivery of lives is because of the practiced use of an open source teleprompter. And if you are a professional communicator, there is a high chance that you will be called to use a teleprompter at some point.
It is not exactly difficult to learn but there mastering a teleprompter will take some practice, mostly with the help of a presentation coach. To help you out, take note of these tips to become a pro at LCD teleprompter or PowerPoint teleprompter.
Tips On Working With Teleprompter
1. Before you start rehearsing, make it a point to meet with the teleprompter operator. Spend a few minutes introducing yourself and creating rapport to give you an assurance that your performance is in good hands.
2. Share your preferences beforehand. Do you want to work with a topical outline, bullet points, or a full script? Pick the right one that works best for you.
3. Not all teleprompter operators are made equal so if you’ve had a bad experience with one before, do not be turned off to the whole process. Conversely, if you’ve had a good experience with one before, do not expect that it will all be the same in the future.
4. Experienced operators will let the presented control the pace of the scroll of the teleprompter. So, when you speak, it scrolls. And when you stop, it stops as well.
5. As a presenter, you have all the freedom to ad lib. Realize that what you can talk about is not only limited to what’s written on the screen. A good prompter will follow your lead and make sure that your next thought will be ready when you need it.
6. Glance at the prompter to your right, grab what you will say and what’s next, and then shift your attention to the other prompter. This method will let you connect with everyone in your audience.
7. A skilled operator will customize the script according to your speaking style. When they become familiar with their pace, you operator will be able to add space between your lines as your cue for eye contact.
8. Make sure that you are comfortable with the size of the text in the teleprompter video.
9. To aid in ensuring a smooth delivery, ask your operator to use bold face or underline key words that need emphasis. You can also ask to insert extra spaces or slash marks to aid in pausing and pacing.
10. Once the operator has made all your desired changes on the script, ask for a hard copy. This will allow you to continue reviewing your presentation so you can familiarize yourself on the text as they appear on the screen.
11. Even when you are using a portable teleprompter, you need to keep in handy a hard copy of your screen in cases of problems. This should also give you a feeling of security.
Get A Reliable Teleprompter
Your teleprompter operator does a major job in ensuring that do your presentation well. Considering this, make sure to pick a reputable and skilled one with whom you are comfortable working with.